RE: [wg-c] Retraction of previous proposal, re, revisted

At 04:43 13-08-99 -0700, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
>Yes and yes, but not the way you stated. I don't think I need to
>explain, to an IP attorney, that a trademark can be any qualifying
>string and that if that string is also used, intentionally, by the
>trademark holder, as a TLD, that they own/operate/license, then that TLD
>becomes pretty well protected. I think we have enough case-law that such
>a statement would hold an argument, maybe even an actual case?

Dear Roeland:  Certainly you are correct.  The issue which was been debated
was whether USPTO had issued a trademark for a domain name, specifically
for a TLD such as ".web".  Or would they in the near future.  I believe it
is correct that they have not and would not likely do so in the near future.

Certainly they have accepted three dimension trademarks such as the Coke
bottle.  And sounds, such as the Harley-Davidson.

Regards, BobC