Re: [wg-c] Retraction of previous proposal

At 12:22 12-08-99 -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:

>ICANN and its DNSO are already suffering from charges
>that they have a predetermined agenda. The statements on
>your web site reinforce these kinds of fears. What was the
>basis for these statements?

Dear Professor Mueller:

Thanks for your thoughtful posting.  As I have written, we began notifying
existing *applicants* (note that we at PSI *never* used the term
"registrants* or *pre-registrants*), shortly after the White Paper.  We
stopped taking new applications for a long, long time.  Some time this
year, we advised potential applicants that we did not know when the gTLDs
would be delegated.  We started accepting applications again, but without
the nominal $15 charge.

We did not want to start accepting applications in the first place, but
others were, so we needed to get something into our queue.  I just learned
that Globalcomm is still showing themselves as a CORE members:-(

I feel that we have an obligation to those who made applications with
us.  Let's say that .firm is not delegated to any registry.  Let's say that
.corp is delegated --- and not to CORE.  In such a case, we would seek an
arrangement with the .corp registry to be able to register in that registry
--- at least until we had satisfied the needs of our prior applicants.

If you'll look at the newest version of our posting, you'll see we have we
have used words such as "...  the first Generic Top Level Domains (gTLDs)
*may be* delegated in October or November of 1999. CORE *hopes* that a
non-controversial gTLD for personal use, *such as* .nom will the first
delegated by ICANN (successor to IANA). It should be followed by others
*such as* .firm, .shop, .info, .rec, and .arts."

The emphases I've added (*may be*, *such as* and *hopes*) are intended to
contemplate that .per might be delegated rather than .nom --- or that .corp
is delegated rather than .firm.

I'm sure you recognize that we are trying to describe a moving train;-{

>It should be clear from my posts on this list that I support
>entrepreneurship on the Internet. I view Core as one of
>many legitimate, competing registry/registrar consortia that could be
>accommodated--along with many other ideas--if we get our
>act together and create an open, accessible name space.

As you know by now, we entered this fray with nothing but the highest
motives, not expecting to even apply for the lottery to be one of the
chosen 28 members of CORE.  We share most of your concepts, though we lean
very hard toward anti cybersquatting provisions.

>So let's stop re-fighting battles from 1997 and make it
>happen.
I'll drink to that, though some might think I'd drink to a falling
leaf.  (No, I would *not* drink to a falling leaf --- unless it was a
falling oak leaf on the head of a cybersquatter --- and that oak leaf came
from our dining room table:-)

Personal regards,
BobC, who says, "Keep making us think".

"One test is worth three expert opinions!"
Ulric B. Bray