Re[2]: [wg-c] Retraction of previous proposal

At 22:41 11-08-99 -0700, William X. Walsh wrote:

>assurances given, until this workgroup has finished its work.
>
>Is this proof that this workgroup is for naught and the real decisions
>have already been made, as happened with both ICANN and the DNSO?
>
>Is this another betrayal in the making by the CORE/ISOC special
>interests?

Do you think these things happen in a vacuum?  Innocent CORE members were
led into this thing in 1997 by what appeared to be the "people in charge".

We were permitted to take advance applications with or without a small
application fee.

We must constantly try to bring our applicants up to speed.  What I have
been told, and therefore what we have posted to our applicants, is that the
TM interests are concerned that any new gTLDs be rolled out slowly, a bit
at a time.  Further, that personal gTLDs like .nom and .per are less
controversial, therefore more likely to be delegated to *someone* before
gTLDs for commercial uses.

The text which you see so alarming has been written and rewritten
intermittently since shortly after the White Paper was issued.  That was
long before there was an ICANN, or a DNSO, or a Registrars Constituency or
a Names Council or any of the Working Groups.  Have you ever tried to give
an *accurate_description* of a moving train?  Tain't easy;-{

I think most of those applicants would be happy with other iterations of
the IAHC set, nothing sacred about .firm or .shop.  We all know the
problems with .web.

Now that we are a post testbed registrar, we have some solace we can give
our applicants.

So please don't throw around words like "betrayed".  I have good and
sufficient reason to feel betrayed, and I'll bet those who applied to CORE
members for .firm, .shop, .etcetera feel betrayed.  Who's really at fault?

BobC

A snail was run over by a turtle.
When asked, "What happened?", he said,
"It happened so fast, I can't remember".