Re: [wg-c] Eureka?

Javier:
Radio spectrum is far more "scarce" than domain name space.
Yet governments around the world license private commercial businesses
to give them exclusive control of a range of frequencies. Indeed, many
are beginning to auction off spectrum space. New Zealand gives
licensees property rights based entirely on a real estate legal model.

Land is a far more scarce resource than domain name space.
There are commercial land markets. Do you own your home, Javier?

Telecom links are scarce resources. They occupy scarce rights
of way, consume scarce labor resources in their construction,
and consume materials that are also scarce.

The same point could be made about all the examples below.

Economic science defines as "scarce" any resource that
commands a price greater than zero. Few economists would
disagree with the proposition that a competitive price system is
in most cases the best way to ration a scarce resource.
If "scarcity" were a rationale for allocation by public entities on
a non-profit basis, then the entire global economy would be
rationed by bureaucrats (and we would all be very poor.)