Re: [wg-c] Eureka?

At 15:46 04-08-99 -0400, Martin B. Schwimmer wrote:

>I believe it is Mr. Connolley from Japan who put in his sig file the
>expression "One test is worth three expert opinions."  This suggests that
>five to seven tests would be worth from fifteen to twenty-one expert opinions.

Dear Martin:

Yep, that was I.  Though I'm a "Connelly" not a "Connolley" nor a
"Connolly", nor a "Connally".  (I first arrived in Japan in August of 1971,
just as Treasury Secretary Connally took the U.S. off the gold standard,
devalued the US$ from ¥360/US$ to ¥330/US$.  Any kind of "Connelly" was not
well received.  Fortunately, in Japanese it's read "Koneri", same as Sean
Conery.  I passed myself off as "007" for some time;-}

Dr. Bray was a brilliant industrial chemist and petroleum chemist -- the
father of heavy duty motor oil in 1939.

I worked for him my second job out of Caltech.  He tempered his technical
expertise with good old fashioned country wisdom.  What I wrote was a
direct quote from Dr. Bray.

He also said, "A hog seldom dies a natural death".  Something we should
keep in mind as ICANN established rules for Registrars.

I would endorse the "five to seven tests" as a way to end some of this
counting angels on the heads of pins.

Regards,
BobC

"One test is worth three expert opinions!"
Ulric B. Bray