[wg-c] ICANN as a private entity (was:Eureka?)

At 07:22 AM 8/08/1999 -0700, Kent Crispin wrote:
>On Sun, Aug 08, 1999 at 10:37:08PM +1200, Joop Teernstra wrote:

>> There is no need to come up with bad analogies here.
>
>Yes, I agree.
>
>What I said was fact, not analogy.

I meant: There is no need *for me* to come up with bad analogies. I was
briefly tempted.

>This discussion is on the
>fundamental legal basis for ICANN, the basic legal environment in
>which it exists.  It is a *private* corporation with contracts with
>other entities.  From a legal point of view Tony has described it
>precisely.  Once again, this is not analogy, it is simple fact.
>
>> 1. ICANN is not your garden-variety private entity. It is under obligations
>> to be as public as possible.
>
>Nonetheless, it is a *private* entity.  It is not a part of any
>government.  Those obligations, from a structural legal point of
>view, are the same as for a non-profit corporation with a government
>grant to study amphibians in ephemeral streams.

You are arguing like what is called down-under a "bush-lawyer".
I understand your specialty is network-security. In other words, you are
paid to think like a detective. To think bad hacker thoughts.
Now you are way off base.
Talking about "structural legal point of view" , whatever that is, brings
you on the terrain of people who have been taught *why* there are legal
structures.

>> 2. ICANN sits at the apex of a hierarchy pyramid controlling a set of
>> singular chokepoints of the Internet. Under such circumstances imposing
>> contract terms=governance.
>
>Yes, it is a monopoly.  I said that.  From that perspective,
>Microsoft engages in governance, through contract terms it imposes on
>its distributors.

Nobody has handed Microsoft it's monopoly power on a platter, under an MoU
with a Branch of the US Administration.
Now it's you coming up with the bad analogies.

>> 3. Only a properly constituted ICANN with all it's elected directors in
>> place could take decisions of such import.
>
>Nonsense.  ICANN could take such decisions immediately.  From a
>practical point of view it might be counterproductive to do so, but
>from a legal point of view it is perfectly free to make any decisions
>it likes.  This is true whether there are elected directors or not.

Nonsense? What do you mean then by your "practical" point of view?

>> 4. If ICANN would do such a thing against the wishes of the majority of the
>> stakeholders, especially if these non-profit entities happened to be
>> operating with a common purpose, ICANN would be found acting in
>> contravention of both the White Paper and the MoU with NTIA.
>
>This does not contradict anything  I said.  Furthermore, the current
>situation is transitional.  The USG is supposed to be out of it all
>by Sept 2000, in which case the MoU and the White Paper are no
>longer legally relevant.  The only legal control the Government will
>have will be through anti-trust, restraint of trade kinds of things.

If that is true, you have just delivered the single most persuasive
argument to undermine the legitimacy of  whatever the ICANN board is
contemplating to do today.

--Joop Teernstra LL.M.--  , bootstrap  of
the Cyberspace Association,
the constituency for Individual Domain Name Owners
http://www.idno.org