Re: [wg-c] Eureka?

>> Your statement
>> that "the value of computers.com approaches nil when there are 300 other
>> TLDs that can register the same name." is ridiculous. The value of
>> computers.com
>> remains the same because there is no other TLD that can register the same
>> SLD/TLD combination.
>
>Note: you have made a very strong assertion about what will happen to the
value
>of a SLD.TLD combination when there are 300 additional TLDs.
>
>> The only force that can affect the market value of
>> computers.com is the market itself. To suppose that additional TLDs will
>> create price movement in .com is a purely theoretical arguement that you
>> have absolutely no hard data to support.
>
>Note: you have accused Ambler of making a prediction about what will happen
to a
>SLD.TLD combination when there are 300 additional TLDs. You have accused
him of
>having no hard data, and of being purely theoretical.
>
>Both of these assertions cannot be correct.
To be clear, my position is based on current SLD.TLD pairs and their price
performance within today's market. This includes the existing gTLDs. ccTLDs
and their respective markets.

On the other hand, Chris is making blind assumptions about the price
movement of SLD.TLD pairs based on assumptions that exist in a future market
solely
created in his mind.

Regardless of our different views on economic performance is the larger
question of whether TLDspace should be administered as a public resource or
not. Answering the question of resource scarcity is fundamental to
proceeding on an informed basis.

Perhaps a mini-poll is in order...

1) Do you feel that individual TLDs are a;
    a) scarce resource
    b) plentiful resource

2) Should there be a specific separation between TLD governance and TLD
operation?

3) If there should be a specific separation between TLD governance and
operation, should TLD governance be administered privately or through public
governance/consultation?

4) Should TLD operation be operated on a private or public basis if it is
deemed that there should be a separation between TLD governance and
operation?

There's more questions surrounding this issue, but this should allow us to
move forward somewhat...

-RWR