Re: [wg-c] trademark law & new gTLDs

 Mark Measday <measday@ibm.net> wrote

>Keith,
>
>Sounds incredibly sensible, although one regrets reducing the sensitive
arcana
>of your profession to the crudities of YP. I doubt US, UK and Spanish YPs
would
>maintain the same categorizations, for example, to introduce one of the
>international complications.

For the reasons you give, I think this is the sort of initiative which would
best be led nationally by innovative ccTLD operators, and I would hold off
looking at gTLD categorisation (and adding lots of GTLDs).

There may be a case for considering selected clear cases where international
consensus could be shown (e.g for registration by airlines in a .airline for
example)  and ICANN could invite proposals for consideration by the DNSO for
that purpose.

>Shouldn't businesses pay for a facility of such ease-of-use, where DNS/tm
>issues are reconciled and there is reduced risk of legal liability for the
>various infringements?

If it were exclusively a business issue, perhaps, but it isn't.  It's a
general issue of organising the namespace in an intelligent and logical
fashion in the greater interest of ALL internet users, consumers, businesses
and the rest, not just for the private profit of a few would-be registry
operators.

>Who would sponsor the production of the appropriate taxonomy, WIPO? Surely
>something exists somewhere, already?

At national level I would see ccTLD operators taking a pro-active view and
getting a broad based consultative committee together themselves of users,
business, YP etc

>Would there be any need for reconciliation with existing national and
>reciprocal tm arrangements for the mapping of global DNS to international
tm
>taxonomies?

It would clearly be desirable for national ccTLDs sharing the same language
to have consistent SLDs for the YP categories, but it's not essential (cf.
.co.uk .com.au etc)