Re: [wg-c] trademark law & new gTLDs

I restate the naive original question, which would presumably be
answered by a large number of similar informed responses, should this be
the case..... Whilst no taxonomy can be perfect, the question remains
whether the imperfections in the reconciliation of the  international
classes to various national laws are sufficient to prevent mapping of
the international classes to classes of TLDs in practice, à la Higgs.
Presumably exceptions, where national regulation would not allow
conformity with some standard international practice, could be
documented as you point out, and subsumed into ccTLD legislation?
Compliance or non-compliance with  international law by
trademark-holders in the international arena would be subject to the
appropriate international instruments, presumably? I appreciate noone in
their right mind is going to suggest a EU-style harmonization of global
legislation to fit TLDs, but if the above is true, would one not
anticipate movement to be in that direction, as Mssrs Postel, Higgs et
al did?

  !
  !

  !