Re: Re[4]: [wg-c] Re: IP/TM Concerns & New GTLDs

At 01:33 AM 4/08/1999 -0700, Kent Crispin wrote:

>You completely misunderstand the problem -- it has nothing at all to do
>with changing nameservers.  The problem is that domain names are embedded
>in URLs, and URLs are embedded in millions of web pages all over the net.
>Indeed you can change your nameservers, but you can't go out and find every
>single web page that points to you and change the embedded URL.  For a
>company like amazon the links are in the hundreds of thousands.  Those
>links are amazons lifeblood, they are a tremendous asset, they represent
>real concrete good-will - someone felt good enough about amazon to link to
>it. If amazon changes domain names, those links are all dead dead dead, and
>that value goes down the drain in a flash.
>
>That's where the lockin comes from.

Kent, I am really pleased to hear you argue this. I have always said that
lock-in is the main element of a registry's natural monopoly.
The  relevance to the discussion here is the creation of true competition
to weaken these natural monopolies and to forestall undue exploitation of
the registrant, once he is locked in.

For the small registrants this means that there must be alternatives to NSI
and CORE.
This means other registries and as a consequence, other TLD's (than the
ones proposed to be given to CORE).

--Joop Teernstra LL.M.--  , bootstrap  of
the Cyberspace Association,
the constituency for Individual Domain Name Owners
http://www.idno.org