Re: Re[4]: [wg-c] Re: IP/TM Concerns & New GTLDs

On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 09:14:39PM -0700, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:

> Excuse me if I say that this is naive. If business were this easy we
> *wouldn't* have so many millionaires. It's a PITA to change all of your
> nameservers ovre, but it only has to be done in a few limited places. It
> may actually be easier than an IP renumber. Ergo, no lock-in and no
> monopoly.

You completely misunderstand the problem -- it has nothing at all to do
with changing nameservers.  The problem is that domain names are embedded
in URLs, and URLs are embedded in millions of web pages all over the net.
Indeed you can change your nameservers, but you can't go out and find every
single web page that points to you and change the embedded URL.  For a
company like amazon the links are in the hundreds of thousands.  Those
links are amazons lifeblood, they are a tremendous asset, they represent
real concrete good-will - someone felt good enough about amazon to link to
it. If amazon changes domain names, those links are all dead dead dead, and
that value goes down the drain in a flash.

That's where the lockin comes from.