RE: Re[4]: [wg-c] Re: IP/TM Concerns & New GTLDs

At 12:14 AM 8/4/99 , Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
> The CORE registry was designed to compete with NSI.  It cost, in
> *very* round numbers, about $1M.  On the other hand, Nominet is a
> completely successful effort, built originally for much less than
> $1M, and it does fine.  That's because REGISTRIES ARE NATURAL
> MONOPOLIES.  It isn't necessary to be the size of NSI to make a
Excuse me if I say that this is naive. If business were this easy we
*wouldn't* have so many millionaires. It's a PITA to change all of your

The term "natural monopoly" is a largely discarded
notion of regulatory agencies.  ICANN is not supposed
to be operating as a regulatory agency, much less using
discarded concepts of the most heavy handed such agencies.
It - and its participants - have a fiduciary duty to
accommodate a wide variety of business models.

--tony