Re[4]: [wg-c] Re: IP/TM Concerns & New GTLDs

Tuesday, August 03, 1999, 8:47:04 AM, Ken Stubbs <kstubbs@dninet.net> wrote:

> your response here appears to ignore the practical politics involved with
> expansion of GTLD's.

> like it or not this is reality here and if we can't present what is viewed
> as a "responsible" plan for expansion tanking into account the sensitivities
> & concerns of the commercial and intellictual property community then we are
> going to go nowhere.

Who says?  You carefully avoid the section of my comments that
mentions just how bad it would be for their image if they decide to
play school yard bully.  The internet community would never stand for
it.

> maybe you consider it a sellout.. frankly i consider it a close  look at
> reality

So its reality that we must sell out the rights of individuals because
they lack the funds to lobby effectively?

Come on, lets call it what it is and stop skirting the issue!

Do you want a decision based on REAL fairness and with a sound basis
in law, or do you want one based on school yard politics?

The trademark/IP interests will never wield that sword you want
everyone to picture is hanging over this process.  The minute they do
they will be the subject of more backlash and bad publicity than they
can handle.  They know this.  This is hard cold political reality.
But they don't want you to know this.

What is disgusting is the sellout to these interests by a small
special interest group who is looking to the trademark/commercial
interests to support their agenda with regard to how new gTLDs should
be handled in exchange for selling out the rights of domain name
holders.  The price is too high.  We have seen this unholy alliance
for the last 8 months at least.

If you are going to push policies based on who has the most money to
spend, at least call it what it is and don't try and disguise it as
something else.  School yard politics are deciding the future of the
rights of domain name holders (or should I say lack of rights?).

It is truly sad to see otherwise intelligent people try and paint it
in such a different light.

--
William X. Walsh
General Manager, DSo Internet Services

(IDNO MEMBER)
Support the Cyberspace Association, the
constituency of Individual Domain Name Owners
http://www.idno.org