Re: [wg-c] Do we need a TM law modification?

At 17:45 30-07-99 -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:

>So here's my proposal, and I think this idea is kicking around. Can the TM
>laws be modified to clarify that failure to register a domain name
>corresponding to a mark does not constitute failure to police a mark?

Dear Dr. Mueller:

While not necessarily conceding that such a change could be made, it would
take eons in most jurisdictions.  As such, it would miss the mark of
providing consumer protection in the near term (5-10 years).

Do not forget, Trademarks are for protecting the consumer from being
confused by the similarity of name, trade dress, style, etc.  Forget the
Trademark holders, the Law is to protect the consumer.

Regards,
BobC

"A hog seldom dies a natural death."
Ulric B. Bray