Re: [wg-c] Vote for Working Group Co-chair

On 28 July 1999, Craig Simon <cls@flywheel.com> wrote:

>I'm not so sure it's invalid. If Keith Gymer fulfilled his part of
>whatever he had to do to join the group by a reasonable date, and
>then some administrator (Javier I presume) neglected to add his name
>to the website, it's not Keith's fault, and he shouldn't be penalized
>for it.
>
> It seems to me the question should be when he became a member
>(registered as an eligible voter) and whether that date came prior to
>a reasonable cutoff point.
>
>Somebody please make a suggestion as to what that cutoff date should
>be (certainly not after voting began) or else make a good argument
>that we don't need one at all.

Since Javier declared the vote without defining this, and without
posting a list of eligible voters, and since there's no way to get
a list of people subscribed as of the beginning of the vote, the list
on the website would be the fairest to go by.

Unfortunate, maybe.  But fair?  Yes.  People can claim right and left
that they have a list of the valid voters from just before the vote,
but there's no way whatsoever to verify it.  The names and date could
be manipulated.  Had there been a full listing of all valid voters posted
to the list prior to the vote (I believe I raised this issue a while back),
everyone would have had their own datestamped copy of the list.

Now, all we have is the current list on the webpage. (which I've just saved
locally, to prevent any post-hoc editing attempts.  I suggest others do
likewise.)

If we can't agree on whose vote is valid and whose isn't, I propose we
declare the election invalid.

--
Mark C. Langston	     			Let your voice be heard:
mark@bitshift.org				     http://www.idno.org