Re: [wg-c] Who should vote for new gTLDs

I reject entirely the "voting" paradigm as stated by Javier below.

Consumers of DNS services should "vote" for new gTLDs *in the marketplace.*
The DNSO and ICANN are here simply to coordinate the root zone and protect the
stability of the Internet. Their task is to define a procedure for adding new TLDs
as demand for them occurs, and to set minimum criteria for operating a registry.

The job of DNSO, therefore, is not to decide which gTLDs are "right" or "good,"
nor is it to decide how many is "enough." Its job is to coordinate the name space.
Businesses and other groups will come to ICANN with proposals, and DNSO or ICANN
will assess and dispose of those proposals according to certain fixed criteria.

Can you imagine what the market for books would look like if a global association
of publishers "voted" on which books would be published?

--
m i l t o n   m u e l l e r // m u e l l e r @ s y r . e d u
syracuse university          http://istweb.syr.edu/~mueller/