Re: [wg-c] I/O Design Initiates Legal Proceedings against CORE

Rod Dixon wrote:

> The important point is that some of us do not find a problem with
> adopting a gTLD that someone may have a property interest in.

I agree. As you may have noticed, I have been arguing for a mixed approach to new
gTLDs that allows both shared and proprietary approaches.

> If we care
> to discuss this more seriously, then we should probably unwrap this
> property issue more carefully.

We definitely should, it is the crux of the matter. Don't be bashful about pointing
out where I or anyone else is "off the mark," as long as it advances our
consideration of these issues.

Incidentally, those who say that there should be no exclusive gTLD delegations are in
effect saying that exclusivity should be vested entirely in ICANN. There is no escape
from exclusivity of rights. The only question is how distributed it is going to be.