Re: [wg-c] I/O Design Initiates Legal Proceedings against CORE

I partially agree with this analysis. A proprietary TLD is primarily an
exclusive right to administer a zone file, and the claim to exclusivity derives
from the operation of that registry and not from the trademark per se. I am
approaching this not from a trademark law standpoint but from the standpoint of
regulatory economics, which tells us that a business that has a property right
over an asset is more likely to invest in it and cultivate its value than an
asset that is not owned. That is why I think numerous competing, exclusive
registries should be authorized.

As I stated in an earlier post, one could make a legitimate claim to operate a
branded dot web registry without gaining any rights over the use of the term
"web" in other contexts. It is clear from the news release that Ambler is not
claiming a "copyright" or patent-type exclusivity over the term "web," as if he
invented it or own it. He is claiming an exclusive right to run the dot web
zone. I suspect the same is true of CORE.

However, I can see a problem in Kevin's claim that one cannot get from a
trademark to exclusivity of TLD names. If ICANN attempted to authorize a .ibm
TLD and gave it to someone to administer other than IBM, don't you think IBM
would make--and probably win--a trademark claim?

m i l t o n   m u e l l e r // m u e l l e r @ s y r . e d u
syracuse university          http://istweb.syr.edu/~mueller/