Re: [wg-c] I/O Design Initiates Legal Proceedings against CORE

Ivan Pope wrote:

> Or maybe we could ask: should this Working Group be proposing a set of gTLDs
> which are specifically claimed as Trademarks by another organisation?

I don't see any way to avoid it. The issue is which gTLDs get into ICANN's root.
Related IP problems may arise with any character strings that are adopted.

ICANN can authorize a dot web addition to its root, and then wait until the
contending parties work out their conflict before permitting its actual
operation. That would, I think, give IOD and CORE a strong incentive to settle
the issue and get down to business. Certainly ICANN itself should not attempt to
resolve the IP claims.

Now I find myself truly amazed. For two and a half years Mr. Crispin and other
gTLD-MoU people told us that the DNS administrator *must* get directly involved
in the resolution of trademark disputes in second-level names. The proposed
procedures would apply to tens of millions names and span different systems of
law. Why are we suddenly so shy about the prospect of conflicting IP claims in a
few hundred TLD strings?

--
m i l t o n   m u e l l e r // m u e l l e r @ s y r . e d u
syracuse university          http://istweb.syr.edu/~mueller/