Re: [wg-c] I/O Design Initiates Legal Proceedings against CORE

Dear Readers:

ICANN's involvement in this lovefest should be sharp but limited.

Reputedly, ISOC and ISI have been instrumental in establishing
that "Internet" is not trademarkable; the same should be recognized
as true of .web (as well as the other gTLDs that CORE is said to
have filed trademark applications for).

It is hornbook law that a word in common usage cannot be
appropriated as a trademark unless it is being applied to goods or
services in an arbitrary, fanciful, non-descriptive manner.

I don't think that there is any doubt but that under principles of
US trademark law, neither IOD nor CORE has a right to appropriate
.web as a top level domain.  Exclusivity over top levels domains
must derive (if it is to exist at all) from some source other than trademark
law.

Kevin J. Connolly

The information contained in this electronic message is confidential
and is or may be protected by the attorney-client privilege, the work
product doctrine, joint defense privileges, trade secret protections,
and/or other applicable protections from disclosure.  If the reader of
this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this com-
munication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communi-
cation in error, please immediately notify us by calling our Help Desk
at 212-541-2000 ext.3314, or by e-mail to helpdesk@rspab.com