[wg-c] Re: Lists of new TLDs

The additional list provided by Milton is very useful (In fact, I
started looking over the name space stuff right after I submitted the
IANA list). My own inclination is that, after the contended gTLD issues
are settled, we should be thinking in terms of turning all these
suggestions (and any others we can find out about) into gTLDs under a
shared system, and then soliciting more through the end of next year,
2000.

Some brainstorming follows. Focus the solicitation for new gTLDs on
non-US regions until the number of gTLDs reaches, say, a thousand. Maybe
leverage this with the effort to publicize and select the regional GA
memebers. Then, perhaps, it might be good to slow the rate of addition
for a while, and then accelerate it again after a few years when the
demographic of Internet users has shifted.

I think it's easier to shoot for including all the zone names that we
can verify have been vetted by other processes, rather than trying to
reinitiate a new selection process restricting 20 to this that or the
other region. But I recognize this betrays my own preference for lots of
new gTLDs in a shared system. Lots of other things need to be settled
first, of course.

Craig Simon