[wg-c] Lists of new TLDs

Craig supplies a useful list of TLD requests submitted to IANA. There is another,
more extensive attempt to allow domain name customers to vote on new TLDs
administered by Name.space. Here is the URL:
http://vote.global-namespace.net/cgi-bin/vote.pl

You can see that whereas IANA's list consists of only about 100 requests
submitted by prospective suppliers, the name.space list incorporates thousands of
votes from end users that have been accumulated over a period of about a year and
a half. The name.space list is also more recent than the IANA list.

Here is the top 20 in name.space's list, and the number of votes it has received.
You can also view the top 50 or 100 at the URL above.

SPACE  2794
WEB      2049
ART       1089
DESIGN  720
MEDIA    675
SHOP       651
SEX          647
INFO        646
TRAVEL   616
ZONE       603
MUSIC     561
FIRM        540
INC           524
ONLINE   398
MAG         358
LTD           356
ARTS         353
WORLD    337
HOME       336
MAIL         333

Both lists are of course imperfect samples, and neither represents "the
community," which is a term that has no validity in this context anyway. There
are completely separate linguistic communities, including those with non-roman
alphabets, that are entirely unrepresented. Some CORE names made it onto this
list, but you will notice, I think, more creativity in this list than in the IAHC
list. The simple fact is that no one knows which names the public wants or will
use, and the market should sort that out.