[wg-c] competing models

Kent Crispin wrote:

> I have seen *no-one* who objects to
> non-proprietary gTLDs being put in the root -- even Chris
Ambler has
> stated multiple times that he doesn't mind having non-profit,
public
> resource style registries.  (*)

This is not true. Many of us who support an open, free market
approach to the
name space would be adamantly opposed to any decision that
validated one
proposed management model and deferred indefinitely the other.

The situation is quite simple. We have group A that supports a
commercial,
proprietary model, and another group B that insists upon a
non-profit, "public
resouce" management model. Group A says it is willing, in the
spirit of
compromise and encouragement of diversity, to accept coexistence
with the group
B. Group B says that it is not willing to permit the other group
to exist.

After nearly five years of divisive debate, which group has the
more reasonable
position?
Which provides a more stable basis for moving
forward--coexistence or a
winner-take all approach to the battle?

I think these questions answer themselves.

--
m i l t o n   m u e l l e r // m u e l l e r @ s y r . e d u
syracuse university          http://istweb.syr.edu/~mueller/