[wg-c] Re: [wg-c-1] Compromise

After reading Craig's proposal more carefully, I still believe that it
forms the best basis for negotiation and compromise that I have seen. It
is much better to approach the discussion of new TLDs from an integrated
perspective, than it is to stuff the discussion and output of this group
into answers to out-of-context questions such as "should there be new
TLDs" and "how many," etc.

My main criticism of Craig's proposal is this:

Many of the statements seem to be predicated on the assumption that
ICANN must decide *between* proprietary and shared TLDs. I am not
convinced that the alternatives are mutually exclusive. Why can't we
have both models, in different sets of TLDs?

To put forward an example chosen *only* for its simplicity, and not for
any other reason, why can't it authorize 50 shared TLDs, while at the
same time announcing its intention to create an equal number of
proprietary TLDs and initiating efforts to resolve proprietary claims to
dot web, a process that might for example end up with IOD operating dot
web as a proprietary registry?

If public, non-profit administered TLDs are the more attractive option,
because they offer the advantages of competitive registrars, regulation,
etc. surely many domain name registrants will recognize those advantages
and opt for the shared domains. If the proprietary domains have
advantages, they too will attract customers.

Many countries, including the United States, have long had hybrid models
in place in communications. Broadcasting in the US and UK combine
non-profit or publicly-owned stations with commercial, proprietary ones.

--
m i l t o n   m u e l l e r // m u e l l e r @ s y r . e d u
syracuse university          http://istweb.syr.edu/~mueller/