[wg-b] Who accredited what (historical note)

At 11:42 15.10.99 -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:
>Randy has confused registries and registrars.
>
>DARPA and NSF did not accredit registrars. IANA accredited registrars only
>within dot US. NSI entered into private contractual arrangements with
>registrars for dot com and other gTLDs around the world. They had over 100
>such relationships with registrars prior to ICANN's formation.

since we invented the current meaning of the terms "registries" and
"registrars" a few years ago, during the GTLD-MOU debates, it is not
surprising that Jon, NSI and others made deals that did not fit this model
very well.

Note that Randy's note used neither term.

                      Harald
--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
Harald.Alvestrand@maxware.no