FYI: Draftinc-C Announcement

Ladies and gentlemen,

I am happy to tell you that the so-called "Drafting-Committee" has now
completed the work it was given in in Barcelona.

You will find at

	www.dnso.org/docs/drafting-announce.html

a short introduction to the new drafts (I attach this to this e-mail) and
links to the respective documents. We hope that the various alternatives
we have developed will assist the discussion in Monterrey.

I should like to add two supplementary (personal) comments here:

1.

In "Alternative 2" I have integrated a relatively extensive proposal for
the "methods for funding the DNSO and providing funding for the
Corporation". This proposal should be seen independently of whether you
feel the assumptions on which the rest of the document is based (see the
attached announcement) are helpful or not.

For your convenience I have marked in red the differences between version
2-2 and the original version 1.

2.

It will certainly be helpful to outline briefly the course of the Drafting
Committee's work for you.

I should like here specifically to counter the impression that this was an
exercise dominated by the POC. The POC members on the Drafting Committee
have been extraordinarily restrained in their comments – basically, the
only idea to come from a POC member was the idea of publishing a number of
alternatives rather than aiming for a single draft, in view of the
pressure of time. Naturally this does not change the fact that the
language of the first draft from the POC is still present at many points
in the new draft.

Even so, it seems to me important to note that all ideas in the draft have
been discussed extensively and in detail, and that I have seen no evidence
of an attempt by anybody to push their views through in an unreasonable
way. I am also pleased to say that all members of the Committee have stood
above relationship to any stakeholder in the formation of ICANN and
focused solely on the task set us in Barcelona (with the risk that our
constituencies may criticise the results).

With best regards,
Michael Schneider

============================== CUT HERE ==============================

        Announcement of the Drafting Committee:

  The Barcelona meeting left a great many issues unresolved, and
  uncertainty even about some basic definitions.  Consequently, the
  possible solution space for a rewritten Application is very large,
  and the Drafting Committee simply did not have time to find an
  optimal solution in that space.

  Consequently, we have produced three alternative drafts.  We don't
  present these as alternatives from which one must be selected --
  rather, we present them as examples of the wide variety of
  possibilities.

  Alternative one is closest to the original.  It attempts to include
  the consensus points from the Barcelona meeting, with very little
  consideration of consequences or internal consistency.

  Alternative two attempts to simplify the structure in a manner
  that reflects some input from work in other SOs.  This attempt to a
  higher level consistency resulted in a renaming -- what was the
  "governing committee" is now called the "names council", and what
  was the "names council" now is "the membership".

  Alternative three eliminates the name "names council" entirely,
  since there is fundamental confusion as to what the ICANN bylaws
  intended.  What was the "names council" is simply considered a
  category of membership in the DNSO.  This draft explores the
  implications of that kind of a structure.

 | Michael Schneider Chairman, eco - Electronic Commerce Forum e.V.   |
 |                   Director, Regulation and Selfregulation EuroISPA |
 |                   Chairman, Complaint Commission of the German     |
 | c/o                         Multimedia-Service-Providers Hotline   |
 | Michael Schneider & Partners Law Firm,   Phone: +49 2242 9270-0    |
 | Dickstrasse 35, D-53773 Hennef      Michael.Schneider@Anwalt.DE    |