Re: [ifwp] Secrecy

David and all,

David Schutt wrote:

> Note that the following section of the bylaws allows non-dislosure
> agreements, and allows the board to keep secret any board discussions that
> it pleases at its own discretion.
>
> Some quotes might be approprate -
>
> "Every thing secret degenerates, even the administration of justice; nothing
> is safe that does not show how it can bear discussion and publicity."
>
>           -Lord Acton
>
> "Secrecy is the first essential in affairs of the State."
>
>           -Cardinal de Richelieu
>
> "Secrecy is for losers"
>
>           -Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
>
> Section 2. ACCESS TO INFORMATION
>
> All minutes of meetings of the Board, Supporting Organizations (and any
> councils thereof) and Committees shall be approved promptly by the
> originating body and, no later than twenty-one (21) days after the meeting,
> shall be made publicly available on the Web Site and otherwise; provided,
> however, that any minutes relating to personnel or employment matters, legal
> matters (to the extent the Board determines is necessary or appropriate to
> protect the interests of the Corporation), matters that the Corporation is
> prohibited by law or contract from disclosing publicly and other matters
> that the Board determines are not appropriate for public distribution shall
> not be included in the minutes made publicly available. For any matters that
> the Board determines not to disclose, the Board shall describe in generic
> terms in the relevant minutes the reason for such nondisclosure.

  Your point is well taken David.  The only part of this Bylaws section,
( Section 2. ACCESS TO INFORMATION ), that we have some great
concern about with regard to secrecy or nondisclosure is the last sentence,
"For any matters that the Board determines not to disclose, the Board shall
describe in generic terms in the relevant minutes the reason for such
nondisclosure."   Indeed this give far too much latitude by discretion
in this instance or type of situation to the Board.  And as you quoted
above from Patrick Moynihan seems appropriate.  As a matter of fact
Sen. Moynihan recently appeared on Larry King Live discussing
this very subject.

> David Schutt
> Speaking for TAOPWHTAWTVODHSAAIT
>
> (The Association Of People Who Happen To Agree With The Views Of David H.
> Schutt At Any Particular Point In Time)

  Sure!  Where do I sign up?  LOL!