[comments-gtlds] generic Top Level Domains

First let me say that I am asking that ICANN and the
Names Council extend the deadline for comments from the
Internet Community at-large.

If the Names Council recommends based on the small
amount of commentary available here, or in the less
than one-hundred emails sent in, then it's a pity and
very short-sighted. Indeed, this was a very short
period of time allowed for input and I believe the
deadline should be extended.

Why? The news of this going on wasn't widely
disseminated through the usual news outlets of
Wired, ZDNET and CNET, or any of the lesser outlets.
This means that many in the Internet community have
"not" had the opportunity to make a record of their
comments, either by email, or in the forum.

I am all for the implementation of gTLDs. Let me also
add that in any event, I believe that the following
should occur;

1) Registrars require that all domain names must be
paid up front with a credit card. This would stop
a large amount of cyber squatting.

2) For any registrar that insists that it have a 30-day
grace period, then they should be required to
include on the domain name record a notation that the
name has not been paid for and, if not paid
for, when it will again be available. And then "stick"
to the 30-day grace period, not a day more.

The concept of ownership passing only upon payment
should be firmly established. The loophole of not
paying up-front, and not being contractually bound,
must be closed.

It appears to me to be an idiocy to allow someone to
reserve every word in the dictionary, by which they
prevent others from gaining a domain name and then, in
the end, no sale is made.

S.M. Studenka
smstudenka@earthlink.net