[comments-gtlds] Re: .com is king? No, I don't think so.

>-- First of all, give up on the notion that you can ever create enough
>general-purpose TLD's to make much of a difference in the online real
>estate that .com has become.  It is already too late for that.  No other
>TLD will effectively compete in the foreseeable future.  No serious
>business will settle for less than the .com "best".

This is your opinion. I, and many others don't share it.

What if you had said that a particular brand of ice cream is king, so
there's no room for competition? Are you going to proclaim that
nobody can even try?

No, I don't think so. If you don't think that, for example, .web can
give .com a run, then I invite you to refrain from registering any .web
names. But to make a blanket statement that trying is out of the
question is as ludicrous as saying that everything that can be
invented has been, so we might as well close down the patent office.

--
Christopher Ambler
chris@the.web