Re: [registrars] Cash on the barrel head.

Robert F. Connelly wrote:

> Dear Colleagues:
>
> Could we look at the new NSI system which starts tomorrow as the first
> fruits of the most recent negotiations between DoC and NSI?  We've asked
> for a less lopsided playing field.  CORE members have always operated under
> rules which require "cash and carry" payments.
>
> Regards, BobC
>
> 1. On September 18, 1999, Network Solutions plans to move to a new
> Web-based prepayment process for registering domain names.  At that point,
> we will no longer accept NEW registrations without payment in full at time
> of registration.  This new online payment method gives customers the
> convenience of payment by credit card. THIS CHANGE DOES NOT AFFECT YOUR
> CURRENT DOMAIN(S) IN ANY WAY AND NO ACTION IS REQUIRED ON YOUR PART.

Bob,

If you read this:

http://www.networksolutions.com/business_account/business_agreement.html

...you will see that they will be invoicing customers
that hold business accounts. I am not suggesting that there
is anything wrong with this but just pointing it out. This will
certainly cause havoc with any ISP's that have been using
the e-mail template system and have not been approved for
the business account.

Also, note this:

-- You may also use your Account to submit orders for our
-- products and services made on behalf of third parties.

...and then this:

-- d (iii) we have the right at any time,
-- without notice, to reject any or all future orders submitted to us from your email
-- address if the Service Fees applicable to any orders previously submitted from your
-- email address have not been paid when due, whether or not you were listed as the
-- billing contact in such orders.

This means that they will cut off any company taking
orders whose customer base abuses the invoice privledge. Under the
new system the old Register.com "free" registration
approach would have collapsed fairly quickly.

Larry Erlich

http://www.DomainRegistry.com

Larry Erlich - DomainRegistry.com - NetScott Operations
215-244-6700 - FAX:215-244-6605 - Reply:erlich@domainregistry.com