Re: [registrars] RE: [registrar] FW: Proposed Domain Name DisputePolicy

In a message dated 6/23/99 11:18:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
ivan@netnames.com writes:

<< 'Please note: register.com's phone number is not published on the web site
 because we are required to document each correspondence in a written format,
 per ICANN guidelines.'

 Hello? Can Register.com or ICANN or anyone else explain how this
 interpretation comes about? I cannot for a moment believe that we are going
 to have a situation where all 'ICANN accredited' Registrars cannot publish
 their phone numbers on the Web site. We do a huge part of our business by
 phone.

The relevant language in the ICANN Accreditation Agreement is Sec. III.E.2.b,
which states that each Registrar shall maintain "all written communications
contituting registration orders, modifications, or terminations and related
correspondence with actual SLD holder-customers or those seeking to become
SLD holder-customers, including order templates".

I do not think telephone calls must be documented under the ICANN agreement.
It's also not clear to me that such documentation would constitute
"correspondence" between a registrar and a customer.  The purpose of the
provision is to capture order, modification and termination
letters/email/forms, not to impose a burden on Registrars to maintain records
of all communications with customers.  (In fact, an early draft of the
accreditation agreement might have required just that and was changed for
this reason.)