[registrars]

RE: [registrars] Washington Meeting - Draft Agenda

> I regret that there is no progress on the XFER issue

Mike -

To be clear, no progress from a task force perspective does not mean no
progress on the issue. The Names Council is moving forward, The
Implementation Committee is moving forward, but, it would be
inappropriate for me to speak on behalf either of these two groups. I
can only speak from a task force perspective and this portion of the
machine is currently waiting for those other two portions to complete
their work.

> But I believe that the opportunity for registrars to
> voice their concerns to the registries about the XFER
> issue should not be squandered. I believe that a
> open discussion on the potentual use of the Auth Codes
> with the EPP registries could be of particular value.

To your point about the use of the time, I would not be opposed to
discussions of the nature that you describe, but I would want to
understand what the goals of such a discussion would be per Elana's
recommendation. All too often we spend a lot of time "discussing" things
at these meetings and spend no time "deciding" things. Transfers has
received more than its fair share of discussion over the last two years
and not near enough decision. Any discussion of value around these
issues would have to be, in my books, a decision oriented conversation.
If this is what we are going to undertake, I would further suggest that
we move the slot to the morning in order that we can candidly discuss
the views of the membership without interference from the Registry
Operators. Only once we have arrived at a consensus position on the
points that you describe would it be appropriate to have a wider ranging
discussion. This, I suppose, applies to all of the items on the agenda
and not just transfers.

Lastly, when do you expect to be closing off discussion on this draft
and publishing a final agenda?

Thanks again,

                       -rwr

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an
idiot."
- Steven Wright

Get Blog... http://www.byte.org/