[registrars]

[registrars] Motion to Restrict Registry Participation in Constituency

Folks,

Over the past ten days, we've had some good conversation surrounding
Tucows motion to limit participation in this constituency to ICANN
Accredited Registrars.

There are proposed amendments that should be formally restate for the
record. We also require further conversation as a group before we can
settle on the final motion that we will put to a vote. The guidance that
we have from the executive committee indicates that once the motion has
been presented to the constituency, seconded and subject to some
undefined level of discussion that in order to move it to a vote, all
that we need to do is forward a copy of the final motion to the
executive committee for their acceptance.

It is precisely this process that I propose that we continue to follow.
Specifically;

1. Conversation on the various amendments stays open until the end of
this week.
2. I will forward the final synthesis of a motion based on your input to
the mailing list on Friday.
3. Comment and review will occur over the weekend.
4. I will forward the final version to the executive committee for their
consideration early Monday for ballot preparation and announcement.

Given that there is both substantial interest and contribution to this
process thus far, I believe that this is the most equitable way to move
forward without discouraging or disenfranchising the various
participants.

Also, I should restate my goals for this motion - to limit participation
in this constituency to ICANN Accredited Registrars and minimize the
degree to which gTLD Registry Operators can interfere with the agenda of
the constituency. This will continue to increase in importance and
relevance unless ICANN provides a guarantee that decreasing the level of
separation between "registry" and "registrar" as they have with GNR is
in fact an anomaly based on quantifiable factors such as economic
performance or uniqueness of business model of the specific registry.
My fear is that this has become a de facto policy directive that ICANN
is now pursuing.

Motions and Amendments:

Original Motion - "... that any representative of any ICANN recognized
gTLD registry in the possession of or with access to registry
Proprietary Information
(http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/name/registry-agmt-apph-06mar01.ht
m#A-3.1 in the case of GNR) or Registry Sensitive
Information(http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/name/registry-agmt-apph
-06mar01.htm#A-3.2 also in the case of GNR) not be permitted to
participate in this constituency at any level, in any capacity, for a
period of one year since the last receipt of such information and that
our by-laws be amended to reflect this."

Proposed Amendment #1 - "... that any officer, employee, or board
director of any ICANN recognized gTLD registry not be permitted to
participate in this constituency at any level, in any capacity, for a
period of one year since holding such position and that our by-laws be
amended to reflect this."

Proposed Amendment #2 - "... that any officer, employee, or board
director of any ICANN recognized gTLD registry in the possession of or
with access to registry Proprietary Information
http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/name/registry-agmt-apph-06mar01.htm
#A-3.1 in the case of GNR) or Registry Sensitive Information
(http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/name/registry-agmt-apph-06mar01.ht
m#A- not be permitted to participate in this constituency at any level,
in any capacity, for a period of one year since holding such position
and that our by-laws be amended to reflect this."

Proposed Amendment #3 - "... that in keeping with the selective
membership criteria of other DNSO constituencies, the Registrar
constituency represents the interests of a specific sector, specifically
those of ICANN Accredited Registrars. To avoid conflicts of interest,
this typically excludes entities whose primary relationship with ICANN
is as a TLD Registry Operator. Further, be it resolved that our by-laws
be amended to reflect this."

Thanks,

           -rwr

Ross Wm. Rader