From: Grote, Henning [mailto:Henning.Grote@telekom.de]
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 5:25 AM
To: michael@palage.com; registrars@dnso.org
Subject: RE: [registrars] Nomination

Michael and all,

thank you very much for thinking of me, it indeed would be an honor for me to serve our industry and the whole community on the ICANN NomCom.

Due to an emergency in my family I wasn't able to place my statement to the list earlier, I apologize for the delay.

I believe that quite a number of you know me but for those who don't just a few words about myself: I've been around in ICANN and it's formation process from the very beginning. It was the formation of ICANN itself and of the DNSO were I was most actively involved, e.g. initiating top level support where needed (EU commission, industry voices, financial and organizational support). But that's long ago... Today, representing a tiny registrar in our constituency, it is my objective to work for a level playing field for all participants in the market and to emphasize on market development through technological and service improvements. I still believe in the basic values ICANN stands for, but it's also a bunch of work to identify and correct erroneous trends in this field.

Although the registrar I represent is diminutive in size the corporation it is part of is rather the exact opposite: Deutsche Telekom AG, Europe's largest telco. DT's registrar is part of the corporation's Network Information Center which I set up in it's present form together with my team 5 years ago (besides, we are operating the RIPE area's largest LIR, too). Today I'm responsible for research and development in this area as well as for developing technological strategies. Hence, it's also part of my job to assist our corporation's decision makers. Bridging company strategy, technology, politics and regulation to achieve certain goals brings me close to a lot of very different people from these areas on a regular basis. I also represent DT in DENIC, Germany's ccTLD registry co-op, presently devoting most of my DENIC-time to the German ENUM trial (which needs some push...).

Because the corporation I work for is known for its cautious actions as well as for my personal work over the last few years I am consulted from time to time from parties (nationally and internationally, government and non-gov) who are in need of a kind of neutral assistance.

Well, I hope this gives you an idea of who I am - I didn't want to write a "pick me because" [thank you Elliott for this phrase :-) ].

I'm of course willing to answer any questions you might have, be it via email or via phone.

Best regards,
Henning Grote

Deutsche Telekom AG
T-Com Headquarter