[registrars]

Re: [registrars] whois lookup

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 05:52:58PM +0530, Bhavin Turakhia took time to write:
> as noticed most registrars have a form that they expect the owner to fill at
> the time of transferring the domain name, and it is this data from this form
> that is used for the registrant info etc. in this case i do not see any
> issue as to why one would need the registrant information from the losing
> registrar

I totally agree.
I really see no issue with masking real email adresses in whois
regarding transfers. It is however a big improvement against spam for
customers.

I also would be very much interested by Rick's draft ;-)
Anyway, we (Gandi) already added to our TODO list this
functionnality.
The real email adress will never be changed in our record : just the
whois server will _display_ another one, redirected for few days.

> secondly the ICANN agreement mandates all Registrars to maintain complete
> records of ALL domain names for 3 years - "During the Term of this Agreement
> and for three years thereafter,
> Registrar (itself or by its agent(s)) shall maintain the following records
> relating to its dealings with the Registry Operator(s) and Registered Name
> Holders: 3.4.2.1 In electronic form, the submission date and time, and the
> content, of all registration data (including updates)submitted in electronic
> form to the Registry Operator(s);"

This does not mean however that it should be publicly available
through whois (I'm speaking about domain names transfered to another
Registrar).

Patrick.
Gandi.