[registrars]

Re: [registrars] REALNAMES - stopping service 30th June.

Hi Ross,

Your words are heartfelt.

The DNS is about interoperability and there isnt really such thing as a
"proprietary solution" as a standard.  The community is working towards a
common goal today, albeit healthy disagreements sparking conversation and
evolution of the DNS.
Neteka as a company provides a transition strategy for registries that is
instrumental for a smooth migration towards a common multilingual namespace.
The start of the transition is regardless of the evolving standard and will
help to shape the standard, and our vision for the start is nothing elegant
but a brute force approach.  We understand as you do that customers are
impatient and do not wish to change their stuff to be able to utilize
multilingual domain names, therefore a registry has two choices when
implementing multilingual domain names:

1. only implement the standard and reject unconforming requests sent by
existing software
2. accept requests sent by existing software and prepare for the standard at
the same time

With 1, the result could be customer confusion and dissatisfaction, 2 is
what Neteka offers, NOT "proprietary" as in the case of RealNames where
resolution funnels through their "proprietary" system.  Because we know well
today that users will be using their existing software to try to access
multilingual names, we SHOULD be prepared to resolve these requests as they
come.  Providing a seamless transition for registries and end-users is what
Neteka is about, not forcing the world into any "proprietary system".

Hopefully our efforts will become appreciated by the industry as we continue
our genuine efforts in demonstrating the viability of multilingual domain
names and our solution.  Also, how brocolli tastes depends on how you cook
it.  If you eat it raw (as in 1) it tastes bitter and you might not like it,
but if you fry it well (as in 2) it tastes wonderful and much more
palatable, enjoyable.

Edmon