[registrars]

Re: [registrars] REALNAMES - stopping service 30th June.

> Perhaps the failure of Realnames is due to the business model and
> implementation not the fact that the solution was proprietary.
>
> Just a thought.

I was referring to the failure of MDNS, not the failure of RealNames.
Proprietary resolution mechanisms are only as good as the company that owns
them, open standards live forever.

Stop-gap solutions such as the I-DNS service, the Realnames shim and others
in the space need to be displaced by open standards before true adoption can
occur. If it is indeed the case that Realnames exit is/will impact the VGRS
MDNS implementation, then the entire industry has suffered a setback - not
something that I'd like to repeat in the near future.

This is not to say that vibrant innovation need also be displaced, just that
it needs to sit higher on the stack than it does currently.

-rwr