Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 16:34:25 -0600
From: "Drazek, Keith" <keith.drazek@neulevel.biz>
Subject: .US NameServers -- Correction

Dear Registrar Partner,

For those of you who attended the Registrar Constituency meetings in Dulles,
Virginia on February 16-17 and also joined NeuLevel for our NOC tour and
dinner on Saturday night, we would like to take this opportunity to thank
you for your time and participation.  The entire NeuLevel team is pleased to
have to met with you and we hope you enjoyed the evening as much as we did.
For those that did not make it, we look forward to seeing you next time.

We have a few administrative notes (corrections) to pass along:

registrations, we mistakenly stated that "there is no policy that specifies
the location of name servers."  This is incorrect.  As you probably know,
the usTLD Administrator-Registrar Agreement (Exhibit E, Section II - page
32) requires "certification that the listed name servers are located within
the United States - if not completed then registration will be rejected".
Therefore, according to our contract with the U.S. Department of Commerce,
.US nameservers must be located in the United States.

(2)  We expect Registrars to address this requirement through a contractual
process, or in the Registration Agreement or  "terms of use" accepted by
every Registrant.  NeuStar will not collect a separate data field covering
the nameserver location, rather we will assume that every registration
(Sunrise or Live) submitted by Registrars has met the contractual
requirement that nameservers submitted are located in the United States.

(3)  Any domain registrations that are found to not meet this contractual
requirement will be subject to the Nexus dispute resolution process and
could be at risk of deletion if found to be in violation of the rules and if
not fixed under the terms of the dispute resolution process.  The Nexus
Dispute Resolution Policy will be available for your review in the next week
or two.

Like many of you, we think the goal of an American connection (or Nexus) for
.US registrations can be reasonably met without this nameserver requirement
and we will be seeking review of this rule.  But, for now, it remains a firm
contractual requirement.  We apologize for any confusion generated by our
statement.  We will keep you updated in any developments in this area.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us immediately.

Sincerely,

Keith Drazek
Senior Manager, Registrar Relations
NeuStar/NeuLevel