[registrars]

Re: [registrars] OpenSource Whois Server Development Project

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 12:48:17PM +0530, Bhavin Turakhia took time to write:
> > I think Gandi published their perl whois Extractor see
> > http://open.gandi.net/
>
> it is an awesome effort and commend them for it - but there are issues -
>
> 1. perl makes it difficult to be integrated in a registrars code (we use it
> in our first version of our api and it is a pain - socket 80 connection blah
> blah)

No it does not. At least for Perl-based Registrar ;-)

> 2. the code is not too readable and modifiable ... (not perfectly modular)

Why not readable ?
It is easily modifiable, and it is truely modular I think.
(patches were already done from people outside)

If not do not hesitate to tell me why it is not !

> 3. does not separate out various contacts.

This is true... but false in my development version I will put out
someday ;-)

Do not forget why we needed it : for transfers, and we sent an email
to all contacts. We do not need anything else (besides owner data).

But, it is open, anyone is welcome to modify it.

> we are working out a language definition to define java properties files
> which will parse any registrars whois and split the data into whatever
> information you need gleaned.

I doubt this is really possible if to be done completely.
Think about postal adresses and zip code for example.

Regards,
Patrick.