[registrars]

RE: [registrars] OpenSource Whois Server Development Project

> > if we are going to get some action here i would like to contribute a
> > different project. a opensource whois parser. as it stands
> today majority
> > registrars have their own whois formats.
>
> I think Gandi published their perl whois Extractor see
> http://open.gandi.net/

it is an awesome effort and commend them for it - but there are issues -

1. perl makes it difficult to be integrated in a registrars code (we use it
in our first version of our api and it is a pain - socket 80 connection blah
blah)

2. the code is not too readable and modifiable ... (not perfectly modular)

3. does not separate out various contacts.

we are working out a language definition to define java properties files
which will parse any registrars whois and split the data into whatever
information you need gleaned.

then each registrar could do his own properties file

> > address, or registrant name etc etc using regex rules that are
> separately
> > put down for each registrar.
>
> cool! make it available.

i can put it up on sourceforge ..... lemme talk to my tech team tomorrow
morning .... will get it done in the next 1 week depending on their
schedule.

> I'd prefer we have machine readability options in port 43 whois and a
> standard output format; until that time software like you are offering

i would love that too. however that is far away. i have seen different kind
of whois with different registrars  (one whois lookup in netsol had a FLASH
Demo :) ) ...... TUCOWS has the resellers contact info etc etc ....

> where can I get a copy of your java whois extractor?

will put it up on sourceforge with minor documentation .......

bhavin