[registrars]

RE: [registrars] OpenSource Whois Server Development Project

Bhavin,

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002, Bhavin Turakhia wrote:

> if we are going to get some action here i would like to contribute a
> different project. a opensource whois parser. as it stands today majority
> registrars have their own whois formats.

I think Gandi published their perl whois Extractor see
http://open.gandi.net/

> we have currently written a java livbrary which parses whois output of
> various registrars and extracts from it the admin email address, tech email
> address, or registrant name etc etc using regex rules that are separately
> put down for each registrar.

cool! make it available.

> currently offcourse we have made the rules ourselves. the idea would be to
> allow each registrar to update their rules themselves. however most
> registrars may not have the incentive to do so.

I'd prefer we have machine readability options in port 43 whois and a
standard output format; until that time software like you are offering
would be  wonderfull contributation.

where can I get a copy of your java whois extractor?

thanks,

-rick