[registrars]

Re: [registrars] Registrant Information Inquiry

Tara Frump wrote:

> To All:
>
> We have a situation that we are currently facing and I was wondering if we
> could get some feedback from the other registrars.  We have a customer who
> is requesting that we transfer his current Registrant information from their
> company name to that of “Owner.”  We are having reservations about this for
> many reasons, including inability to legally prove ownership of the domains,
> as well as being noncompliant with ICANN polices, which require the Full
> Name to be listed as the owner.
>
> Has anyone had any similar situations to this or can recommend any policies
> regarding this Registrant information being listed as “Owner?”

If I understand your question correctly, I don't
think it is the responsibility of a registrar to
determine what is, or is not, the name of a registrant.

For example, if I remember correctly, there is a store
in the US which goes by the name "No Name" and I have
seen other situations that are similar to this. There is
no exclusion list of protected words.

If you are going to start to pass judgement on
valid names, you might have to inspect and validate
all of them, which of course you won't be able to do.

The risk here is to the registrant, and you might
just want to make them aware of why. (But then again
this might be just as risky in the case of any generic
sounding ownership name, even if it was legit.)

Larry Erlich

http://www.DomainRegistry.com