[registrars]

Re: [registrars] Transfers - paid status

David,

We also find that NACKing a transfer because the domain has passed
the expiration date by a couple of days is incompatible with the
principle of registrar competition. It must also be pointed out that
this situation often occurs because of repeated NACKs by the losing
registrar while the domain was still in paid status.

The losing registrar is reimbursed the domain fee debited in the
auto-renew. It might argue that it will have had to pay interest to fund
the registration fee during that period -  but let us calculate. For a
domain transferred 10 days after auto-renew, that makes USD 6 x 6% x
10/360 = USD 0.01.

In comparison, the average cost associated with a failed registrar
transfer (customer telephone call, investigations, reinitiating the
transfer) is in the order of USD 5.

Therefore, if the interest paid to fund the registration is indeed
the problem, then the losing registrar should accept proportional
compensation from the gaining registrar, and the gaining registrar
would logically be happy to pay. The only question remaining is if
settlements, even just once per quarter, for amounts so small are worth
the while.

Regards,

Werner

--
CORE Internet Council of Registrars   http://corenic.org
WTC II, 29 route de Pre-Bois, CH-1215 Geneva, Switzerland