[registrars]

[registrars] Transfers - paid status

Here is another scenario for transferring domain names that need to be addressed.
This name expired 3 days ago and they want to transfer it, but the name is not in a "paid status" so the registrar is denying the transfer. The registrant is required to renew the domain with the registrar just to keep from losing it to the "after market crowd".

The auto renewal may cause this to be seen in the database as a none payment but now the consumer is held hostage to *ONLY* renew the domain at the current registrar. Now the consumer is in fear of losing his domain and has no choice in the matter.

The policy that Verisign put into place is if the domain name is deleted or TRANSFERED in the 45 day window the registrar is credited for the fees, so why not allow the transfer. We already have policies in place to handle this so why are we not following them. Why are we still making the consumer go through transfer pains. The cost will be on the gaining registrar not the losing registrar. Is this not another way of holding hostage a domain to force the end user to renew the domain with the current registrar.

This is the email
************************************
Because the domain name, OIL-PAINT.COM, did not meet the criteria to change
registrars, Network Solutions/Verisign has instructed the Registry not to
change the registrar.

Specifically, the domain name didn't meet the criteria because:

It is not in a paid status at Network Solutions/Verisign.

Sincerely,
Network Solutions, Inc.
Change of Registrar Group
Thanks,