[registrars]

[registrars] Tucows Position On Transfer Policies

All,

In order to clarify our corporate position and lay to rest some of the
rhetoric surrounding this very important issue, please find attached a
formal statement of position prepared by our firm. An executive summary
extracted from the document follows my message below.

While Tucows remains hopeful that closure can be brought to this issue in an
expedient and appropriate manner, the positions of those opposed to the
current policy have not advanced sufficiently over the last few months for
us to assume that resolution is near.

If you have any questions concerning this position paper, please do not
hesitate to contact me through any of the means listed below in my signature
file or via this list. Also, please accept my apologies in advance for the
unsolicited attachment. I sincerely hope that none of you are on the end of
a 2400 baud dialup in the South Pacific when you receive this.

Sincerely,

Ross Wm. Rader
Director, Innovation & Research
Tucows Inc.
t. 416.538.5492
c. 416.531.5584
e. ross@tucows.com

Executive Summary:
Tucows has a long history of working to protect and expand the rights of
consumers whenever possible. Recent unilateral actions by certain ICANN
Accredited Registrars to limit these rights by creating superfluous transfer
procedures for Inter-Registrar transactions are inappropriate, harmful and
arbitrary. Justifications to the contrary are thin, illogical and
unsupported by fact.

While some have suggested that the solution to this problem is an increased
level of rigor and standardization around these transfer related
transactions, it is Tucows' position that no policy problem actually exists.
Rather, it is our view that improper practices employed by a few registrars
must be corrected.

LimitingRegistrantRightsv1r12-060701.pdf