[nc-whois]

RE: [nc-whois] "noise on the task force"

I have to agree with Thomas here, sadly.

What distresses me most is the following:

There was a task-outline set for this task-force, which upon our first
reports was translated by ICANN/NC to:

"Consult with community with regard to establishing whether a review of
ICANN's WHOIS policy is due and, if so, how best to address "

To this was added:

Louis Touton reminded Council of a request from Verio Inc. regarding a
change in the Registrar's Accreditation agreement about bulk WHOIS data
obtained from registrars and the marketing uses for it.
The ICANN reconsideration committee recommended referring the issue to
the DNSO.
Philip Sheppard asked if it could be referred to the existing Task Force
or would it require a new group.
The WHOIS TF Chair said it was an issue that could be taken up by the
WHOIS task force if the Council requested it.

Philip Sheppard proposed:
To refer the issue to the existing WHOIS TF and for the TF to report
back by e-mail to the NC within 14 days how they intend to deal with it.
Decision 6: The proposal was adopted. There was one abstention.

After Bucharest we were concentratingon 4 area's:

1.      Accuracy of the data contained in the WHOIS database.

2.      Uniformity of data formats and elements across various TLDs and
registrars, including ccTLDs.

3.      Better searchability.

4.      Better protection of data subjects from marketing use of the
data contained in the WHOIS database.

This was all reported to the NC.

Even though the added question and proposal on our TOR was all ran by
the NC and known to ICANN and ICANN Council, we have not been at any
given moment in time, instructed into possible limitations to proposals.

In doing so now, upon instignation from the registrar/registry
constituencies? We can easely conclude that for a large part we can
start all over again, within the now given limitations.

What also is a point of worry is that overlooking the list of members of
this TF and the on/off whois mail-archives, there is not one word of the
possible objections.

So let's look at what we got:

A report that even before the comment period is over and the
presentation is a fact is already disputed though the back door,
A TF that seemingly does not communicate with each other to a level that
constituency concerns are not intoriduced.
A "hanging" subject (the NC question on VERIO's bulk access changes)

I still feel we can salvage a lot, but would like to do so in a positive
way, with the "cards on the table".

It is an integrated part of consensus to share objections, we should all
consider those objections and in the end choose to add a "minority"
opinion or, share consensis with the rest.

I am with interest looking towards our communications on this subject
and to see what we can salvage

Kind regards

Abel