From: Thomas Roessler [mailto:roessler@does-not-exist.org]
Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 4:02 PM
To: nc-whois@dnso.org
Subject: [nc-whois] "noise on the task force"

For your information.  Here's Mr. Palage's latest comment on what's
going on on this task force.

I seriously wonder why I have spent _any_ time on this stuff.
--
Thomas Roessler                        <roessler@does-not-exist.org>

----- Forwarded message from "Michael D. Palage" <michael@palage.com> -----

From: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@palage.com>
To: <DannyYounger@cs.com>, <touton@icann.org>
Cc: <ga@dnso.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 12:18:14 -0400
Subject: RE: [ga] Legal Briefing

Danny:

Not to sound like an attorney, but there is no contractual requirement that registrars or registries participate in the DNSO, or its processes. Regardless of the level of participation by either registrars or registries, such action or inaction does not waive the contractual rights contained in their contracts. Although I will work on a more detailed response to your questions below during my flight to China, I wanted to give you some quick answers.

Question 1: The Registrar Constituency hase had a sort of revolving door of representation in the Whois task force. Although Paul Kane was an initial registrar advocate we have had several representatives serving on this Task Force: Philip, Ken and Tim. Although some people may find this hard to believe, but registrars do have businesses to run and they are not always able to devote the necessary resources to play in the DNSO's policy sandbox that other people seem to have. I think Ross has been doing a good job of advocating the registrar position on the Transfer's Task Force. However, as I previously noted as the final recommendations become clearer there is a growing number of registrars expressing concern about certain recommendations. I do not believe that the registrars nor the registries are trying to force the Task Force back to square one. All I believe they are trying to do is ensure that their contractual safeguards are preserved.

Question 2: The Executive Committee delegates the responsibilities of representing the registrars viewpoints to specific representatives. They periodically report to the constituency and the executive committee on their progress. When a final report is available it is put forth to the constituency for a vote. Unlike other constituencies that fail to delegate responsibilities to other members, I do not specifically know what has or has not been stated to the Task Forces. All I know is what has been communicated to me via email, in person meetings, teleconferences, etc. Not all communication within the registrar constituency occurs on the listserv.

Question 3: I cannot say with certainty why registrar come to me. Maybe because I tend to listen and recommend a reasonable and prudent course of action based upon the facts and the binding contracts. Registrars and registries may chose to contact Louis because he is the general counsel of ICANN and registrars and registries have contracts with ICANN. Speaking for myself, I contacted Steve Metalitz and raised a number of concerns regarding some of the initial recommendations in an earlier Whois draft report. This was followed up with some discussions with my registry counterparts. Based upon this discussion I am writing a formal response to the Whois Task Force showing what I believe is serious fundamental flaws in the report, as well as potential recommendations for moving forward with a solution to the problem.

I guess one of the biggest reasons why people choose not to actively participate in the DNSO processes is that there is so much noise on the task force and mailing lists, that they prefer to sit back and rely upon the contracts they entered into in good faith. The same contracts that allow them to employ people, pay rent and taxes, etc. I know this is definitely not the answer you were looking for but it is part of the reality we live in.

Best regards,

Mike