[nc-udrp]

Re: [nc-udrp] the UDRP task force - report

I'm in France, and my interent connection is lousy, which I regret will limit
my participation in this group for the next 2.5 weeks, but I'd like to point
out that the reliance on the questionnaire here is, I think, totally misplaced
for all the reasons discussed often on the list.

While it's fine to use the results to sensitize us to issues, that's about all
it's good for.  We need to make recommendations that make sense from first
prinicples.  I have quite a few in the final sections of my paper at
http://personal.law.miami.edu/~froomkin/articles/udrp.pdf

I would like to see some discussion of those suggestions on this list.  I've
raised this before and been met with silence.  I can't quite bring myself to
assume this means there is a consnensus in favor (although that is how ICANN
usually treats silence).

Katrina Burchell wrote:

> with other more pressing issues taking up time and in particular the whole
> question over ICANN reform generally, I am sure that many people have not
> had the work of the task force on the top of their agenda. I think it
> would be a shame to let the work that we did on the questionnaire go to
> waste and it would be a very constructive thing to do to contribute to the
> ICANN debate by providing the results and outcome of our enquiries.  I am
> not sure where Caroline got to with drafting a report but we seem to have
> lost direction.
>
> I therefore took it on myself to have a look through the debate on this
> subject and I have attached a draft of an outline of a report which I
> think we could pad out together.  Let me say that I was initially
> reluctant to do this for fear of being criticised for driving forward my
> own views on the subject of reform - which some of you wont agree with -
> and also because in my experience if you put your head above the parapet
> you usually get shot at - but whatever, here goes....
>
> I havent put much meat on the attached simply because if you all shout me
> down I would have wasted my time.  If  you like this sort of format and
> some of the suggestions I make in it (at the moment just ideas about how
> it should look) then, Im happy to co-ordinate your input, go through the
> remaining emails on my computer regarding the responses and knock it into
> a better shape.
>
> let me know
>
> Katrina

>                          Name: UDRP report.doc
>    UDRP report.doc       Type: Microsoft Word Document (APPLICATION/msword)
>                      Encoding: BASE64

                -->   It's hot there.   I'm elsewhere.   <--