[nc-budget]

RE: [nc-budget] Job description

I think this is a conversation we have had before - and as I recall it, the
committee was quite clear that our priority is to appoint  someone with high
level policy and secretariat skills.  It is up to that person to recommend how
we can best ensure delivery of technical operational functions.  I expect the
appointee would want to talk with Elizabeth about this and work out with her,
and in consultation with other key stakeholders, the options and the best way
forward.

For this reason, the proposed selection criteria focus on policy/managhement
skills and high level Secretariat experience.
As far as the job description is concerned, it may be that we can deal with
the technical side of things under a single caluse to the following effect;

* manage the delivery of technical services required to support the operation
of the DNSO.

erica

>===== Original Message From "Ken Stubbs" <kstubbs@revenue.com> =====
>your right on target here chuck !

with the policy and financial support of the Secretariat role is that the
technical/operational role will overshadow the policy role.  Whereas I
absolutely recognize the need for the operational responsibilities, I
personally believe that the long term success of the DNSO and maybe even ICANN
rests on the ability to succeed on the policy side.

>  Ideally, in my mind, it would be best if the Secretariat function could be
performed by someone different than the technical/operational functions.  But
it is not clear that there will be enough funds for that.  If funding was not
an issue, I would recommend creating two job descriptions, one for the
Secretariat function that focuses on the policy and budget management side
(objectives 2 and 4) and one for the technical/operational support.

>  Why don't you do a cut and paste job on the latest job description so we
can see what you would specifically recommend.

>  Chuck

account for different activities.
>    This means that in the future should we need to prioritise one activity
over another
>    we can do so easily because:
>    - the activity will be well described in the job description (Chuck
drafting)
>    - a corresponding item for the activity will be in the budget (Philip
drafting)

>    (All it needs is a copy and paste job adding the new detail you have
under the corresponding obj 1-4.)