[ga] More misinformation from Verisign re: WLS

Hello,

See:

http://www.icann.org/correspondence/gomes-letter-to-halloran-28may03.htm

I remind Chuck of Verisign's official answers to various questions at:

http://www.icann.org/bucharest/vgrs-wls-responses-15feb02.pdf

in particular, answers to B.2 and B.3

"Registry load should not be a criterion for determining the proper
course of action regarding deleted domain name registrations."

Yet, once again Chuck trots out the Verisign misinformation, to attempt
to misinform the Board:

"These various registrars do so by sending extraordinarily high numbers
of robotic domain name registration requests to the VeriSign Com Net
Registry that currently costs VeriSign significant unreimbursed expense
to process. VeriSign has implemented a temporary system to support such
activity since August 2001 and has continued to support it without
charge since that time."

If registry load isn't a criterion, why does Chuck mention load, over
and over and over again? If anything qualifies as bad faith, I think it
is this, when it is clearly contrary to official answers that registry
load isn't an issue. Only an ICANN board who knowingly ignores a
community consensus, and its contracts with registrars, will not see
this letter by Verisign for what it truly is.

The rest of the letter is the usual Verisign double-speak, which failed
to convince the community (indeed, the consensus position in the Names
Council was that WLS be denied). "I fail to understand" why Verisign
wants to push this through "for everyone's benefit" when their own
customers, Registrars, are against it (failed to get majority support
in the Registrars Constituency), and the customers of Registrars
(Business Constituency, ISPs, Non-Commercials) were also against it?

I'd like a clear answer from Verisign to one question, and I think this
letter above from Chuck *demands* an answer:

IS REGISTRY LOAD AN ISSUE IN THE WLS DEBATE?? Yes or no?

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/